[pacman-dev] Version bounds for IgnorePkg

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sun Jul 5 12:01:03 UTC 2015

On 30/06/15 01:35, Daniel Schoepe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A common situation for me is to ignore a specific known-to-be-buggy version of
> a package with a fix being available in the next upcoming version. I think it
> would be a good idea to allow ignoring a specific package version. The
> following patch implements this functionality.

Sounds great!  Always good to see a first time contributor here.

> Since this is my first contribution to pacman / alpm, I'm not sure if
> I followed the coding style. A few notes on the implementation:
>
> - As discussed when I brought this up a while back, only equality constraints
>   are supported, since the other types of bounds would have unclear semantics.

Can you clarify what is unclear there?  At first glance I would think
that "IgnorePkg foo < 5.0" would be useful.

> - This is checked for by pacman and libalpm assumes that only such IgnorePkg
>   entries are added. I'm not sure if this check should rather be handled by
>   libalpm instead.

I think this needs to be in the backend.  The all frontends benefit.

> - alpm_handle_t.ignorepkg is now a list of alpm_depend_t structures, not
>   strings. This required some more widespread changes to avoid duplicating the
>   code that handles assumeinstalled entries.

I'd see a string being passed to the backend which converts it to
alpm_depend_t.  And having it is that type will need a comment in the
handle field that we are reusing that struct to have versioning on ignoring.