[pacman-dev] makepkg --pkg for selective installation of split packages

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Sun Feb 14 23:20:07 UTC 2016

>> Implementing the workaround right now I've noticed that another issue with
>> the separate invocation of pacman -U is that any dependencies installed via
>> "makepkg -rs" are removed and then re-installed during installation with
>> pacman, while omitting "-r" will leave makedeps.
>>

>pamcan -U deals with dependency resolution.

Yeah, but lets say you want to install foo with

depends=(bar baz lulu)
makedepends=(this that whatever)

makepkg -rs installs bar, baz, lulu, this, that and whatever, builds the
package, then removes all of them. Subsequent pacman -U then re-installs bar,
baz, and lulu. Even if the packages are small with no side-effects via install
scripts, that is inefficient. If they are large and/or have side-effects (e.g.
updating system databases, font caches, etc) then it is very inefficient.