[pacman-dev] [Patch] Disable colors and progress bars if TERM=dumb

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sat Mar 26 03:58:35 UTC 2016

On 25/03/16 14:13, Ivy Foster wrote:
> I recently noticed that if colors and progress bars are enabled, pacman
> will faithfully attempt to print them even to dumb terminals that cannot
> handle them. This patch fixes that.

I don't think we can detect every terminal that does not support colours
properly without using has_colors() from ncurses. I really don't want to
start a hardcoded list...

Is there a case where people switch between terminals with differing
colour support on such a regular basis that NoColor in pacman.conf is
not enough?  Or --color never?