[pacman-dev] Please make the colourised output exactly like that of "pacman-color"

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Sat Mar 26 04:05:06 UTC 2016

On 25/03/16 11:06, Xavion wrote:
> Hi Allan,
>
> I have become old and grumpy since then!
>>

> Okay, point taken: I did let it drag on a bit.  It wasn't all my fault,
> though: I got sick of waiting for those other three patches to be merged in.
>

>> Lets start with what is already justified by what we already have in
>> pacman with the aim of improving consistency of our current colour
>> scheme.  Further additions will need to be discussed separately.
>>
>> package names - bold  (in some places...)
>> groups - blue
>> repos - magenta
>> versions - green
>>
>> So, I'd like separate patches:
>>
>> -Si/-Qi: just those changes
>> -S group dialog: just those changes
>>

> Righto, you're the boss.  I've just created a patch for those switches
> alone; I will post it to this thread soon.  I'll get back to you about the
> other colours at a later date.
>

>> -Qo/-Fo can have the same done
>> and anywhere else that is currently not consistent.
>>

> As far as I can tell, the following switches need better colourisation.
> Let me know if you disagree with any of this *before* I go ahead and create
> the patch :-).
>
>    - -Dk, -Dkk: the package name (but not the dependency) should be in
>    bold, rather than quoted

Colour adds nothing here

>    - -Qc: the package name should be in bold, rather than quoted

or here...

>    - -Qg, -Sg: the group name should be in blue; the package name should be
>    in bold

or here...   You don't need colour to distinguish between left and right
columns.

>    - -Qk, -Qkk: the package name should be in bold

Only errors/warnings are highlighted.  Adding more colour hides the
important information

>    - -Qo, -Fo: the package name should be in bold; the version number
>    should be in green

I said this was fine above.

>    - -Qq, -Fq, -Sq: the package name should (possibly) be in bold

Not sure what package name you are referring to.

>    - -T: the package name should (possibly) be in bold

No colour here ever.