[pacman-dev] Downloader options - Was: Add configuration options for libcurl's "low speed" timeout

Dave Reisner d at falconindy.com
Sat Sep 3 13:40:52 UTC 2016

On Sat, Sep 03, 2016 at 10:45:42PM +1000, Allan McRae wrote:
> On 30/08/16 22:48, Christian Hesse wrote:
> > Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> on Tue, 2016/08/30 08:46:

> >> FWIW, I'm strongly opposed to having a 1:1 mapping between pacman
> >> options and curl config options. Please look at the bigger picture --
> >> it's dead connection detection. We might reimplement that in the future
> >> in some other way (e.g. via the progress callback or by some other
> >> transfer library entirely).
> >>
> >> To that end, I think it would be reasonable to add a boolean toggle for
> >> the dead connection detection (default on). The patch in its current
> >> state makes me rather itchy from an API perspective.
> >
> > That is what my stupid-proxy patch does...
> > Now it is up to Allan to decide. ;)
>
> Crap...  Why do I need to make decisions?
>
> OK - lets think on the go here...  The two options we "want" to support
> based on submitted patches are:
> 1) Disabling the low speed timeout
> 2) Setting maximum download speed
>
> In the future, we might also add a parallel download option.
>
> I'm guessing these want both global config values and command line
> options.  Anyone want to suggest what these could be.  I'll choose the
> colour of the bikeshed.
>
> Allan

1) DetectDeadConnections
2) MaxDownloadKBps
future) MaxConcurrentDownloads

For #2, I'll suggest that you can already do this with a program like
netbrake. Curl's internal rate limiting is not good and only uses a flat
average, rather than a rolling window of recent samples. It's idea of
"limiting" bandwidth is inserting an artificial delay before the next
recv call, which might just be draining a buffer of already received
data from the kernel. This is particularly true if you're behind a
router and not the actual gateway device (and I suspect this is the
common case).