[pacman-dev] building pacman for a customer foloder

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Wed Mar 7 03:08:22 UTC 2018

On 03/06/2018 09:49 PM, pacman-dev via pacman-dev wrote:
> It seems to be taking the prefix for installation but not for
> compile.  What do I need to change to make it run from a different
> prefix?

Okay, first of all you are using way, way too many blank lines in your
email and that is super distracting, so please fix that in the future.
This is not a college paper, you don't need to double-space everything.

As for the prefix issue, I am honestly not understanding the problem.
You wanted to compile pacman to use a custom installation directory, and
that is *exactly* what pacman did with `--prefix`.

Yes, prefix changes where the pacman binary goes, and it changes where
the libalpm.so library goes... and it also changes where the sysconfdir
and localstatedir go. You are of course entirely free to change the
defaults for those as well, for example to continue using the same
configuration and databases used by the repository package for pacman,
you simply specify `--sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var`

P.S. these options are pretty standard autotools things, so this is
generic knowledge that will apply across many coding projects. :)

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User