[pacman-dev] New Optional Dependencies Aren't Logged.

Andrew Gregory andrew.gregory.8 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 17 16:30:16 UTC 2019

On 03/17/19 at 03:31pm, Ralph Corderoy wrote:
> `pacman -Su' suggested an optional dependency of gst-plugins-bad.
> I looked to see what that was and didn't want it.  Later, due to
> discussion on the local LUG IRC, I wanted to look up what package had
> the new optional depends but found /var/log/pacman.log didn't record it.
> Please consider logging them.
>
> Looking at the optional depends of all the upgraded packages, I think it
> was webkit2gtk, but if it were logged then I could check if there were
> any new optional depends in the more general case, e.g. looking back in
> time.

Based on your description, this sounds like a case of "I was mildly
curious about something this one time, so please make a permanent
record of this information on every user's system in case I happen to
be curious about it again in the future."  I understand the desire,
but there are already tools to find what a package optionally depends
on and what optionally depends on a package.  Before we start bloating
every user's log with extraneous information, there needs to be a more
substantial use case than just idle curiosity.