[pacman-dev] Alternatives system brainstorm

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Fri Oct 18 01:06:47 UTC 2019

On 18/10/19 5:04 am, Giancarlo Razzolini wrote:
> Em outubro 17, 2019 12:41 Eli Schwartz escreveu:
>>
>> If priorities are implemented they should be wherever the actual
>> alternatives are, IMO. Less fragmentation. If pacman already needs to
>> read an "alternatives" database to know what the alternatives are to
>> begin with, we don't need a priority without the thing it describes,
>> encoded in the .PKGINFO on its own.
>>

> You're mixing the priority with alternatives, and as I've stated above,
> they are
> complimentary, but could certainly be achieved each on its own.

No - this conversation is entire about the alternative system.  We are
talking about priorities within the alternative system (as implemented
in other distros).

E.g. when installing python3 and python2 in the same transaction, which
one should be symlinked to /usr/bin/python?

I'm thinking first one installed wins.  It also avoids decisions about
whether pacman should automatically update alternatives to a higher
priority package if it gets installed later.

Allan