[pacman-dev] Alternatives system brainstorm

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Fri Oct 18 02:44:44 UTC 2019

On 10/17/19 10:10 PM, Giancarlo Razzolini wrote:
> Em outubro 17, 2019 22:06 Allan McRae escreveu:
>> No - this conversation is entire about the alternative system.  We are
>> talking about priorities within the alternative system (as implemented
>> in other distros).
>>
>> E.g. when installing python3 and python2 in the same transaction, which
>> one should be symlinked to /usr/bin/python?
>>

> Sure, I understood that. But I'm talking about actually implementing a
> priority system in
> pacman.

... but the thread topic is "alternatives system", so if you want to
discuss "priority system" then for the sake of avoiding confusion you
should probably start a new thread, in which case I'm sure we'd all be
delighted to discuss said other topic.

>> I'm thinking first one installed wins.  It also avoids decisions about
>> whether pacman should automatically update alternatives to a higher
>> priority package if it gets installed later.
>>

> As long pacman has an easy way to set the priorities, I'm fine with this
> behavior.

"This behavior" is "do not implement any sort of alternatives priorities
at all, do not pass GO, do not collect $200".

Naturally, pacman will have a way to manually select an alternatives
provider, but there will be no form of "prioritizing" going on... I'm
not sure whether by "easy way to set priorities" you actually mean "easy
way to set the final resolved provider".

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User