[pacman-dev] Showing optional dependencies in pactree output

Eli Schwartz eschwartz at archlinux.org
Mon May 4 17:45:43 UTC 2020

On 5/4/20 1:28 PM, Frederick Zhang via pacman-dev wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I noticed that there is a patch by Johannes available at [1] which adds
> a new flag to pactree to show optional dependencies as well. I think
> this is a nice feature to have however it seems that the patch was never
> merged.
>
> I just tried it out locally and managed to compile with a few minor
> changes. If it wasn't rejected for some reason guess I could submit a
> patch if needed?
>
> [1] https://lists.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2016-February/020922.html

That sounds like a very interesting idea, and I'm not aware of it having
been rejected for any reason. I'd guess it simply got lost.

Please note, however, that in late 2016 pactree was removed from pacman,
along with the other contrib scripts and programs, and refactored into a
separate repo, "pacman-contrib".

The dedicated [pacman-contrib] mailing list collects discussion about
this, and would be an excellent place to submit a patch. :)

--
Eli Schwartz
Bug Wrangler and Trusted User