[arch-dev-public] 2007.08 Don't Panic Isos release

Damir Perisa damir.perisa at solnet.ch
Wed Aug 8 16:05:21 EDT 2007

Wednesday 08 August 2007, Aaron Griffin wrote:
 | I find it rather funny that one can say this is "a typical example
 | of not escaping special chars", implying that it happens SO OFTEN
 | that it can be called "typical", yet we are against fixing this.

we are not against fixing it. but fixing it means fixing the apps not
the file.

i'm from a country that uses quite often öäüéàè in its language and
naming accordingly. i remember the times where windows (2.0 or so)
had big trouble if you try to type in your native langauge something
in a file and then move it to another computer on a floppy and see
questionmarks and realise that it is a computer that cannot handle
this codepage and therefore cannot open your file. nowadays people
would laugh on this situation... nobody (end-users!) would consider
not using öäü in their daily filenames. why not? because it simply
works in all software.

matter of fact: they (the mass of end users) are actually also using
apostrophes and other curiosities in their filenames. and windows
seems to work happily now with it after decades of developement.

 | I'm with cactus on this. This is silly. There is a problem. It has
 | been stated and shown to exist, yet I still see this "fix the rest
 | of the world, we're in the right" attitude that I just find...
 | well, daft.

call me daft but somebody must start with the attitude to try to fix
the world. sometimes you are right and the world is wrong ;-)

i do not want to play devils advocate or be stubborn holding an
argument. no i want to promote awareness on a problem that is
happening "so often" that we instead of promoting its fixing promote
a workaround.

<philosophical text>
linux and open source projects are often blamed for the lack of
standards. i think we are not lacking standards but processes
promoting fixes and enhancements that have little immediate effects
but longterm cleanup and stabilizing function. once the devs accept
that the apostrophe is a valid char in any string and not only a
boundary char, it would be a start for cleaner code and less security
fixes because of proper handling of things in the beginning.
</philosophical text>

greetings,
damir

--