[arch-dev-public] [signoff] xine-lib 1.1.8-2

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 19:58:56 EST 2007

On Dec 17, 2007 5:45 PM, Damir Perisa <damir.perisa at solnet.ch> wrote:

> Monday 17 December 2007, Aaron Griffin wrote:
>  | I know this package is in [extra], feel free to ignore me.
>  | I removed the dep on codecs, and want to get some testing for
>  | different formats WITHOUT codecs installed. I want to attempt to
>  | predict any formats we may lose (such as real media) so that I can
>  | react properly when people complain. All of my videos I have here
>  | work fine in both mplayer and xine, without codecs installed, so I
>  | wanted to get some outside opinions.
>
> i don't have much exotic media files, but i asked around and will have
> in the next days some sent to me to test.
>
> as far i know, all the codecs that are listed in the list here
>
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/codecs-status.html
>
> and have a .dll ending are affected, right?
>
> another question: the new xine-lib has just the codecs dependency
> removed, right? it has no difference in binary. so if some user wants
> to build and install codecs pkg later, he can do on his own, right?
> if so, i see no problem with it in general.

That's correct. But being the open source advocate I am, I'd actually
like to get some notes on this. In the past people have assumed you
simply need the extra codecs to play anything. But the newest
incarnations of ffmpeg and other open source libs have made a huge
majority of media playable without that stuff.

I'm watching some random videos I have sitting around and haven't seen
a problem - but yes, you're correct, the codecs package IS optional,
but I'd like to move it to unsupported