[arch-dev-public] External Kernel Modules - DKMS

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Tue Jul 31 12:30:25 EDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-31 at 16:32 +0100, Tom K wrote:

> http://linux.dell.com/projects.shtml
>
> I also had a brief look at this back when it was orginally proposed, and
>   I think it's worth considering.
>
> Re the off-topic part of this thread: I don't understand this "one
> kernel only" idea myself. If one of us commits to maintaining an
> alternative kernel package, what good reason is there not to provide it?

The reason is because the repos get flooded by duplicate modules and
maintenance is a pain with all these different kernels (amd64 guys need
to rebuild all modules for all kernels, not fun).
With DKMS this would become a nonsense issue, IMHO we should switch.
It's easy to integrate into a package using postinstall commands and
users are not tied to our specific kernels anymore.