[arch-dev-public] restructure our printing system

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Jun 22 09:22:04 EDT 2007

Could you be more specific?

> - package only still developed software

Which software do we have that is not developed? Usually, I think
dropping undeveloped software is only necessary if it requires work to
stay compatible. If a certain piece of software just sits there, works,
and never has to be recompiled, I say leave it there.

> - stick with stable tree releases

Again, which packages are not from the stable release?

> - drop outdated packages/move to AUR rarely

See above.

> - improve features
>
> the last point will force us to have almost all printing related
> packages in either current or extra. now they are splitted and can not
> depend on each other.

Again, what features? Examples please.

> i suggest to move such hardware related packages + virtual printers all
> into current/system or current/office. but extra would also be fine for
> me.

Depends on how we define current. IMO extra would be just fine.

Generally, I need printing and want it to work, so if any of the above
points actually need improvement, I am giving it a +1 (but as I said, I
need to understand your specific concerns first).

Testing will be difficult, as I only have one laser printer (pxlmono
driver, ppd is in foomatic somewhere) and access to one post script
model. I guess nobody here has more than 2 or 3 printers.