[arch-dev-public] restructure our printing system

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Fri Jun 22 11:32:44 EDT 2007

Am Fri, 22 Jun 2007 15:22:04 +0200
schrieb Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>:

> Could you be more specific?

IMO obsolete:
- foomatic 2.0.3-2
- gimp-print-lprng 4.2.7-2

stable/unstable/unmaintaned:

development in foomatic is only done in the stable 3.0 tree and no more
in the 3.1 tree. x86_64 already has a fresh and reworked foomatic 3.0
release. i686 still has outdated 3.1 packages. see the pkg difflist.
also foomatic-db-hpijs is missing in i686. i will try to restructure
hplip to work with foomatic-db-hpijs. they share some drivers but
there're additional in the foomatic one.

gutenprint supports much more features when it can be compiled against
foomatic packages. it could be splitted and also be localized.

i think it would be more usefull to have gutenprint, foomatic and
related packages in one repo and one category. maybe even ghostscript
and x11-printing libraries.

and we should try to update foomatic packages more often. Till
recommended to do this every 14 days. at least on every cups bump it
should be done. because the snapshots appear/disappear daily we should
hold the sources in our public_html somewhere to have a common source
and release date for both architectures.

we should also follow the openprinting.org news where important changes
are described in feeds.

http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting

AndyRTR