[arch-dev-public] restructure our printing system

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Jun 22 12:23:40 EDT 2007

Andreas Radke schrieb:
> IMO obsolete:
> - foomatic 2.0.3-2

That is related to the stuff we said below, right?

> - gimp-print-lprng 4.2.7-2

gimp-print has been replaced by gutenprint. Why do we even keep lprng,
and why do we need separate ghostscript/gutenprint packages for it?

> stable/unstable/unmaintaned:
>
> development in foomatic is only done in the stable 3.0 tree and no more
> in the 3.1 tree. x86_64 already has a fresh and reworked foomatic 3.0
> release. i686 still has outdated 3.1 packages. see the pkg difflist.
> also foomatic-db-hpijs is missing in i686. i will try to restructure
> hplip to work with foomatic-db-hpijs. they share some drivers but
> there're additional in the foomatic one.

ACK.

> gutenprint supports much more features when it can be compiled against
> foomatic packages. it could be splitted and also be localized.

I think we can do that.

> i think it would be more usefull to have gutenprint, foomatic and
> related packages in one repo and one category. maybe even ghostscript
> and x11-printing libraries.

Agreed.

> and we should try to update foomatic packages more often. Till
> recommended to do this every 14 days. at least on every cups bump it
> should be done. because the snapshots appear/disappear daily we should
> hold the sources in our public_html somewhere to have a common source
> and release date for both architectures.

Agreed, probably more often that on cups bumps.

> we should also follow the openprinting.org news where important changes
> are described in feeds.
>
> http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting

Me and you could subscribe to an RSS feed, if there is one :)