[arch-dev-public] The Arch-ization of packages

Damir Perisa damir.perisa at solnet.ch
Sat Nov 3 13:55:47 EDT 2007

Saturday 03 November 2007, Tobias Powalowski wrote:
 | Am Samstag, 3. November 2007 schrieb Andreas Radke:
 | > Do we really need there rules? Can't we let the decision up to
 | > the maintainer?
 | >
 | > If we really need a rule I vote for providing packages pure
 | > upstream with a post.install message how to get it archiefied.
 | > Either with cp -f an included archiefied config/splash/theme
 | > over the default one or to show what additional package will
 | > provide the related Arch stuff.
 | >
 | > Andy

 | Im against the non archifying, on screenshots you only see the
 | distro that runs because of the wallpaper or splash screens
 | nowhere else.

i tend to agree here. leaving everywhere our fingerprints is a good
thing. from the pr-psychological reason, i would brand anything that
is

1) easy to brand (up to the maintainer of the piece if it is easy
enough or not)

2) not forbidden to be branded/changed by upstream rules

3) makes it look decent (starting opengl fireworks with the arch-logo
displayed when you launch an kde editor for example is overdoing it)

4) do not associates us with something we are not associated with

- D

--
                  <º)))><