[arch-dev-public] pending devtools issues

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Fri Sep 28 15:17:58 EDT 2007

On 9/28/07, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:
> Whenever I had tried out the devtools I had these issues:
>
> - I always set a certain pkgdest in makepkg.conf. So (old and)
> new packages are stored centralized. This breaks checkpkg and
> {foo-repo}pkg as they expect old and new pkg in the current directory.
> Correct me if I missed any option to solve that.

I *think* Thomas may have fixed this recently, but I will check. It's
definitely very easy to fix if not.

> - As I only have poor bandwidth and like to keep working while
> down-/uploading I want to have a bandwidth-limit option for
> filetransfer. At least for uploading. Afaik the scripts use scp. Man
> scp tells me there's -l limit - Limits the used bandwidth, specified in Kbit/s.

Would adding the same argument (-l) to devtools that passes it to scp
work for you?

> Yes I like the idea to "force" all devs using devtools to reduce
> unneeded mistakes and issues. Forcing us with an integrated namcap
> run is something I would like to see. But we should still be able to do
> everything by hand. There always might appear some reason why the tools
> get broken and we need to fix something manually.

I agree, too, but that shouldn't be the common case, it should be the exception.

And even then, we need to make sure people are notified as to WHY the
tools weren't used.
For instance, the above cases. They are both very very easy to fix
(around 15 minutes of work). If you would have let us know this.... a
year ago, it would have been fixed.