[arch-dev-public] Kernel framebuffer logo

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 17:40:05 EST 2008

On Jan 24, 2008 4:34 PM, Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Aaron Griffin schrieb:
> > Hrm, Roman pointed something out that somehow slipped my mind. The
> > framebuffer logo is X by Y pixels. It should not be stretched or
> > distorted at all, only scaled.
>
> First of all, I want to point out that I want an Arch logo in my boot
> framebuffer, whether it's stretched or not.

I agree. But what Thayer is saying is simply that if it looks really
ugly, it makes arch look less polished, graphically.

I dunno, I'm on the fence here. I like seeing the little logo on boot,
but if it starts to look really ugly, I probably wouldn't like it
anymore.

> Now to the problem: My native resolution is 1280x800, but I have found
> no way to get this resolution in framebuffer. Therefore, I use 1024x768,
> which results in _non-square pixels_, thus the logo (and everything
> else) is somehow stretched and looks sort of ugly.

Oh, I understand now. I wasn't thinking right - I actually don't have
a widescreen setup at home with arch. All my monitors are square 8)

Maybe I'll boot an install CD on my 17" laptop to see.