[arch-dev-public] Multilib on Archlinux x86_64

Andreas Radke a.radke at arcor.de
Tue Jul 8 15:02:47 EDT 2008

Am Tue, 08 Jul 2008 20:36:42 +0200
schrieb Thomas Bächler <thomas at archlinux.org>:

> The fact that you don't quote a single line from my posting tells me
> that you haven't even read any of my propositions. Why don't you give
> technical arguments instead of making this personal?

Sure this all can be done in a technically clean way not touching
pure 64bit core and extra repos.

It's more a question what Arch64 was founded for: to be the bleading
edge leading _pure_ 64bit distro around. That's been its goal since the
project has started. And I think we did a good job.

You may have missed the early discussions when we made decisions that
we don't want (though we have could have) multilib compatibility and
bi-arch gcc. That was a strict law. It was our way to push the efforts
to once get it the same level where the x86 world is.

Offering 32bit compat stuff always means to make it easy for users
but takes much pressure from companies and opensource developers give
the x86_64 architecture the time and responsibility it is worth. You
can compare it to the question to support closed source stuff or not.
We made our decision long ago. So please respect it.

-Andy