[arch-dev-public] Multilib on Archlinux x86_64

Dusty Phillips buchuki at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 15:14:23 EDT 2008

2008/7/8 Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de>:
> Offering 32bit compat stuff always means to make it easy for users
> but takes much pressure from companies and opensource developers give
> the x86_64 architecture the time and responsibility it is worth. You
> can compare it to the question to support closed source stuff or not.
> We made our decision long ago. So please respect it.

This is all very noble, but:

1) Arch Linux is not a big distribution that is going to put any
pressure on companies. It doesn't make any difference that way. Hell,
all the Linux distros put together can barely put any pressure on
companies.

2) The core values of Arch Linux have always been based on a pragmatic
approach. I'm not aware of any guideline saying Arch will deliberately
exclude closed source products because they are closed source (mostly
its because we can't license it). Eg: I remember when we had the JDK
in the repos even though the license was, at the time, questionable.

3) Arch64 is not separate from Arch Linux, it should share these
original ideals. They're two architectures under one distro, they
shouldn't have different philosophies.

Being noble and only supporting non-free software or non-32 bit
software is for... well, Debian types.

My two cents only, and I acknowledge that won't even cover the sales
tax on your dollar's worth.

Dusty