[arch-dev-public] [signoff] pacman 3.2.0

Travis Willard travis at archlinux.org
Thu Jul 31 11:42:02 EDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 11:37 AM, Travis Willard <travis at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 11:34 AM, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:
>> Is there a certain reason why pacman.static has been removed? I used it
>> a lot when playing with glibc upgrades that often break the dynamic
>> pacman. Is there any replacement?
>
> It also ended up being pretty useful when pacman started linking
> against libarchive and libdownload (libfetch?), IIRC - of course, that
> was compounded by a pacman issue (it didn't download its own deps when
> upgrading itself) that has since been fixed.

(replying to myself, I know)

Looked up the related thread in the pacman-dev archives (since I knew
there'd be one. :P)  It was a short thread, but Dan makes a good
point:

"Yeah, I think it has always been one of those "I hope it works" type
things. In any case, I think this is more appropriate for the pacman
PKGBUILD if we truely want a static build, rather than in the pacman
buildchain."

Does the PKGBUILD do this?  Should it?