[arch-dev-public] [Patch] makechrootpkg: fixed support for splitted package

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Sun Aug 16 17:06:06 EDT 2009

On Sun, Aug 16, 2009 at 7:35 AM, Allan McRae<allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> Eric Bélanger wrote:
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 10, 2009 at 2:23 AM, Allan McRae<allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
>>

>>> Adding this would be quite easy.  I had never found a use case for
>>> different
>>> pkgvers until now so ad never considered it.  No idea why I had not
>>> considered pkgrels before.
>>>

>> Could you also do this for the arch variable?  Pierre told me that,
>> currently, using 'any' arch in split packages doesn't work.  I haven't
>> had the time to see what prevents this (makepkg? devtools? dbscripts?)
>> but I have a hunch that not having the arch variable overridden might
>> play a part in that.  A such fonctionality will be useful to provide
>> big API docs in a seperate 'any' package.
>>

> I'd say all of the above probably need fixed for this.  I have had a brief
> look at makepkg support.  It is a bit weird as the arch variable is handled
> differently to all others but I think I can fix it.  It is on my list of
> things to do.
>
> Can you please file bug reports and assign to me for allowing different
> pkgver/pkgrel and arch lines so I do not loose track of them.
>
>> Another thing (I can submit a FR in flyspray if you prefer) that would
>> be nice:  being able to build specific packages from a splitted
>> PKGBUILD. I think that makepkg should build all packages by default
>> and have an option that allows us to specify the desired packages to
>> be built.
>>

> That would be fairly easy to implement although the actual package stages
> should be really fast compared to the build one.  Please file a bug report.

I filed bug report for both of these.  About the specific packages
build: You need to keep in mind that some of these splitted packages
provides a lot of packages (e.g. kdegames) and that the packages
functions can run time consuming commands.

Also, I am supposed to submit a patch for split package support for
commitpkg (I might do so before having a split pkg ready to test it).
I'll make it so it only scp the packages present in trunk so we won't
need to upload the packages that we don't update. If makepkg doesn't
build the packages that we don't need, that'll save us from having to
remove it.

Eric