[arch-dev-public] wireshark linked against non-existent library

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Fri Aug 21 14:29:01 EDT 2009

On Fri, 2009-08-21 at 18:09 +0000, Hugo Doria wrote:
> I am wireshark's maintainer and i already talked to Giovanni about
> this. He did not built wireshark, for x86_64, under chroot and that's
> why we have this problem with geoip.
>
> There was a bug report on flyspray about this and i asked him to build
> under chroot.I was a little away until last wednesday, so i did not
> saw how that bug report ended.
>
> Anyway, i dont have a way to build for x86_64 (i pray for a x86_64
> build machine). Could someone do this? Giovanni helps me a lot
> building my packages for this arch (thank you, man).

Sorry, but this is the 3rd or 4th time wireshark has been built against
non-dependencies or even community packages. This is totally
unacceptable. We have several tools for this:
- namcap
- makechrootpkg

Use these tools. When you're using makechrootpkg, the only thing that
can actually happen is:
- failing build
- having unneeded depends that are not linked to the package

In case you're not using makechrootpkg, and you know you're compiling a
package outside the chroot, ALWAYS namcap it, even if it's just an
architecture rebuild.

Namcap is not the holy grail, but these simple bugs are detected by
namcap, so use it.