[arch-dev-public] [signoff] man-db 2.5.3-1 replacing man

Dan McGee dpmcgee at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 22:30:50 EST 2009

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Andreas Radke <a.radke at arcor.de> wrote:
> I've built man-db based on the package in community adding some changes
> I have found in a very good written page in the LFS book:
>
> http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/lfs/view/6.4/chapter06/man-db.html
>
> You can read there all about man page encoding and the expected
> locations and how to recode them. Therefor I have added the LFS
> recode script. This will allow us to recode broken man-pages when we
> will get bugreports. This should improve the current situation a lot.
>
> Maybe we should write down later into the packager guide how to fix
> broken manpages, maybe even into the public wiki.
>
> I didn't want to add a new system user "man" as the community package
> does. It seems to run fine without serious security concerns for me. If
> you think different feel free to drop a mail here.
>
> It's not critical to create a database after installation. So I left
> out any install message. The cronjob will do this on its next run. You
> can surely run mandb manually to see how it goes.

Holy smokes, did you try running the cron job? It generates an absurd
amount of output, so for those people that get email when cron jobs
produce output on stdout/stderr, this might be a bit much. Does anyone
do this, or is this really a non-concern?

> All local tests have worked well. So I start a signoff thread now.

As a drop in replacement, man, apropros, and whatis seem to be working
fine (at least after a DB generation). So you have my signoff for
x86_64.

-Dan