[arch-dev-public] Status of X in testing

Jan de Groot jan at jgc.homeip.net
Mon Mar 30 05:14:15 EDT 2009

Last weekend I've done updates to xorg-server, libdrm, mesa and some
drivers. With these updates the last issues with keyboards and touchpads
should be solved. I will build these updates for i686 tonight.

At this moment we have some open issues:
- Big intel memory leaks with DRI2 and UXA
- Small intel memory leaks with DRI and EXA
- Intel performance with KMS
- ATI memory leaks with DRI

At this moment, I don't think KMS and DRI2 should be blockers for moving
this to extra. KMS doesn't work correctly on all systems, slows things
down and given the fact that UXA is a requirement, I don't consider this
as stable. Maybe the next kernel will improve things.

This leaves us with two blocker bugs: the intel and ati memory leaks.
The intel leaks are triggered by desktop effects or compiz, the ATI
memoryleaks are triggered by anything DRI related. I don't know how much
of this is fixed with the latest libdrm and libgl/mesa.