[arch-dev-public] perl 5.12.3

Allan McRae allan at archlinux.org
Thu Jan 27 14:42:15 EST 2011

On 28/01/11 03:46, Ángel Velásquez wrote:
> 2011/1/27 Jan de Groot<jan at jgc.homeip.net>:
>> On Thu, 2011-01-27 at 15:06 -0200, Ángel Velásquez wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> As you know yesterday a new minor version of 5.12 branch of perl were released.
>>>
>>> I've recently rebuilt perl 5.12.2 which is in [testing] waiting for
>>> signoff to fix a little bug with building with gcc 4.5.
>>>
>>> So, basicly we have to do the rebuild that we did the last month again
>>> for some packages, I can work with this if Kevin isn't available
>>> (cc'ing him) so ideally IMO we can start the rebuild of perl
>>> dependencies into [staging] then get into [testing] after the week of
>>> Feb 5th
>>>
>>> Opinions? ideas?
>

>> Is the rebuild really required? Last time the rebuild list just
>> contained nearly all perl modules, also the ones that didn't need a
>> rebuild but that were nice to get converted to arch=any.
>
> Isn't needed for many libraries, and yes, if we all work in this, we
> can improve Arch perl stuff and save some mb on our mirrors (and make
> our perl users happy), I will do the rebuild this night, and tomorrow
> or weekend (sometimes I need to work or sleep) I hope to have done
> with the list of packages that are needed to be rebuilt, so, we can go
> filtering that list and converting some packages to any.
>
> cc'ing Kevin again [ping]

I still do not understand why the rebuild is required?  Are there
genuine breakages going from perl-5.12.2 to perl-5.12.3 and where are
these coming from.  Upstream make strong statements about maintaining
binary compatibility between minor releases, so is it something we are
doing to the perl package that requires these?

Allan