[arch-dev-public] Maintaining consolekit support in community

Lukas Jirkovsky l.jirkovsky at gmail.com
Fri Oct 19 07:42:24 EDT 2012

On 19 October 2012 12:46, Allan McRae <allan at archlinux.org> wrote:
> On 19/10/12 20:28, Lukas Jirkovsky wrote:
>> On 19 October 2012 12:19, Andrea Scarpino <andrea at archlinux.org> wrote:
>>>
>>> Please don't. We'll never drop initscripts this way.
>>> Use AUR instead.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Andrea
>>> Arch Linux Developer
>>
>> Actually, what would be the problem of me maintaining initscripts in
>> community too, if that time comes? I don't plan to switch to systemd
>> anytime soon. I don't see any problem dropping the initscripts &
>> consolekit packages to AUR when no one (including me) would be willing
>> to maintain them.
>>

> So "maintaining" initscript would me actually adjusting/fixing them as
> needed or just putting a package there?

I'd probably do only the bugfixing – I don't think there's any new
functionality needed.

> Because there has been repeated
> calls for actually contributors towards initscripts without any
> response.  And if you are not going to do actual development of
> initscripts, I will have to object on the basis that the software is
> unmaintained upstream.
>
> Allan

It's possible that I missed some of this calls for contributors, but I
already presented my will to help. I was told that mostly the testing
is needed, and, well, initscripts works for me without any problems,
so there are no bug reports from the in this regard. But I don't see
any problem in diving into bugtracker and trying to fix some of the
current issues too.

Lukas