[arch-dev-public] brynhild down a.k.a pkgbuild.com

Sébastien Luttringer seblu at seblu.net
Mon Mar 24 17:34:23 EDT 2014

On 22/03/2014 19:50, Florian Pritz wrote:
> Disclaimer: I have experience with multiple Hetzner boxes, their support
> work flow and they have a forum which has a good amount of insider info
> which I like a lot. Better the devil you know ...
The relation with your box provider is very important and I fully
understand that's a key choice. You don't choose your server only based
on price and technical specs.

> Not sure which OVH offers you are talking about. Those you linked are at
> best 16GiB RAM and and i5 and ofc no ecc ram.
I pointed out Kimsufi (OVH) boxes for their low cost because they allow
to split services between hosts instead of having all in a big expensive
server. Smaller boxes with dedicated CPU and unlimited bandwidth. For
example one for forums, one for wiki, etc. Maybe it's an option you
didn't consider for pricing reason.

> The cpu is weaker (e3-1270v3 vs e3-1240v3),
100Mhz[1] :)

I'm feeling that you (and probably Pierre too) are more confident with
Hetzner service. Remember that Online.net has a challenging offer which
may interest you if we want diversify or we need a real unlimited
bandwidth, which come with higher storage (like backup or ...).

> we'd get HW raid (which
> is probably more trouble than it's worth with a 2 disk system) and the
> choice between 600gb 10k sas, 120gb ssd or 3tb sata disks.
I share your feeling with the HW RAID, but you could request to
disabling it and use the raid card as an HBA. What I do on this box.

Cheers,

[1] http://ark.intel.com/compare/75055,75056

--
Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer