[arch-dev-public] Merging {g,}vim-python3 into {g,}vim package

Anatol Pomozov anatol.pomozov at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 05:22:46 UTC 2016

Hi

On Wed, Jan 6, 2016 at 1:10 PM, Johannes Löthberg <johannes at kyriasis.com> wrote:
> No, what doesn't allow users to use both at the same time is vim not
> supporting
> it, which is why python3 support was added as a split package in the first
> place.

Let me to rephrase my statement to match what I really meant.

"Merge -python3 into {vim,gvim} to let one use any python version with
the same package without need to do reinstalls".

I am fine if only one language can be used - it is just the same as we
had. But this merge will make switching between python versions
easier.

Gentoo and Fedora compile both python bindings dynamically and I guess
this configuration is pretty stable.

> If you believe that that's changed and that the vim docs are now out
> of
> date, please do test it extensively and show your results
>
> From <http://vimdoc.sourceforge.net/htmldoc/if_pyth.html#python3>:
> | When Python 2 and Python 3 are both supported they must be loaded
> dynamically.
> |
> | When doing this on Linux/Unix systems and importing global symbols, this
> leads
> | to a crash when the second Python version is used."

I was trying to find more information about python2/python3 issues
with vim. Google points me to some bug reports that say calling ":py
print 1" then ":py3 print(1)" crashes vim. But I do not see this
issue. I can run both py bindings in the same session and it works
fine

:py version = sys.version
:py3 version = sys.version
:py print(version)
:py3 print(version)

gives

2.7.11 (default, Dec  6 2015, 15:43:46)
[GCC 5.2.0]
3.5.1 (default, Dec  7 2015, 12:58:09)
[GCC 5.2.0]

The VIM documentation a bit confusing. For example :help has-python states
"If only one can be
loaded at a time, just checking if Python 2 or 3 are available will prevent
the other one from being available."

makes me believe that both languages share some kind of common
execution context but the example above shows that python2 and python3
have different contexts that can coexist.

Anyway the new version of vim is in [testing] please check and let me
know if you see any specific issues with python2/python3 bindings.