[arch-dev-public] cleanup dead Xorg packages

Jelle van der Waa jelle at vdwaa.nl
Mon Jan 6 10:55:33 UTC 2020

On 12/19/19 at 04:19pm, Andreas Radke via arch-dev-public wrote:
> I've created a bug[1] to follow a long overdue Xorg cleanup to drop
> legacy and dead code from our packages. This will require fixing
> makedepends in a 2nd step. I will do the most work over the next
> days/weeks. This all didn't fit well into a single ToDo list.
>
> If you find more really dead Xorg packages add it please to the bug
> tracker with a link to its removal. Use the mailing list for further
> discussion if needed when you think a certain feature isn't widely used
> and should be dropped as well.
>
> -Andy
>
> [1] https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/64892

I just noticed that a lot of packages are not building in our
reproducible builds test CI. This is due to the removal of
'xf86dgaproto' and possibly other Xorg related packages. Can we get this
fixed? [1] [2]

I am all for removing dead packages but breaking building packages is
not ok. Seems the Python 2 removal also made people break other packages
which are makedepends of another package such as python-pytest-shutil. [3]

Please don't do this, you are giving other maintainers extra work by
removing their makedepends!

[1] https://www.archlinux.org/devel/reports/non-existing-dependencies/
[2] https://tests.reproducible-builds.org/archlinux/state_DEPWAIT.html
[3] https://www.archlinux.org/packages/community/any/python-pytest-shutil/