[arch-dev-public] Restricting ability to post news items

Gaetan Bisson bisson at archlinux.org
Mon Jan 6 19:29:18 UTC 2020

[2020-01-05 21:27:19 -0300] Giancarlo Razzolini via arch-dev-public:
> Em janeiro 5, 2020 21:04 Allan McRae via arch-dev-public escreveu:
> >
> > Do we really need to write down everything?  Have we reached a point in
> > the distro where common sense has stopped?  Why would an announcement
> > that affects the whole distro not be run past all team members by default?
> >

> Yes, we do. Specially if we are talking about punishment, which clearly is the
> case here. I have seen drafts being discussed on arch-dev only too, and we never
> involved staff members on them. We have to have this written somewhere.

No, we don't. We should be able to entrust devs and TUs with powerful
tools and assume they'll use them responsibly. Our distro is lost if
being a dev or TU is about following a guidebook.

Anyone could have noticed the many threads on arch-dev-public discussing
news post proposals, and anyone could also have refrained from pressing
the "add new post" button on archweb before thinking this through...
Obviously everyone thinks their news post is benign, but you wouldn't
push packages directly to [core], would you? Same logic applies here.

Since it appears not everyone can do the above, I must agree with Allan:
there must be some moderation in place for news posts...

Cheers.

--
Gaetan