[arch-dev-public] Transparency report May 2020

Levente Polyak anthraxx at archlinux.org
Wed Jun 3 17:05:50 UTC 2020

# Transparency report May 2020

## Staff

### TU addition

We are happy to welcome Frederik aka freswa among the Trusted Users [0].
Some of you may already know him as one of our bug wranglers where he
joined forces in February 2020.

## Packaging

### Go

The Go package guidelines [1] have been overhauled and in conjunction
the go-pie package has been removed [2]. The major difference is a new
set of CGO/GOFLAGS that ensure all our distro flags are respected
appropriately, leading to Go binaries with RELRO, PIE and fortify
hardening. A to-do list to reflect these changes is pending.

### CMake

The CMake package guidelines [3] have been created which describe some
important bits to consider when packaging software using cmake. Most
notably appropriate release type option that may otherwise have
undesired effects, removal of non required RPATH usage as well as some
convenience options to build in subdirectories without manually creating
them. As CMake still does not respect CPPFLAGS itself, which results in
fortify hardening being ignored, a temporary patch [4] has been added to
circumvent this misbehavior, a to-do list to reflect these changes is
pending.

## Reproducible builds

You may have noticed a couple of large rebuilds that occurred recently.
These fixed issues of non-reproducible file ordering with old versions
of makepkg. This and other hard work by the team improving our tooling
and fixing packaging issues has resulted in 96% of [core] being
reproducible, and 90% of [extra]. You can see the status of which
packages are reproducible here [5]. A full progress report can be found
on the corresponding thread [6] on arch-dev-public.

We have set up a fleet of three rebuilderd [7] runners to continuously
test our distributed repository packages and populate our status page
[8]. Some integration into archweb to indicate the current
reproducibility status is planned.

## Infrastructure

### GitLab

We're in the process of switching our Git hosting from our custom cgit
instance to GitLab! We created https://gitlab.archlinux.org [9] and have
started moving some projects. We'll continue moving projects onto GitLab
and will then get rid of our cgit instance.

Users can currently not collaborate with us on GitLab as we still need
to get some monitoring in place to make sure we can keep a close eye on
usages to ward off abuse. However, we're planning on doing this soon and
then we'll open up GitLab to everyone. Finally you can collaborate on
Arch like it's 2020!

We're also going to use GitLab for other things such as bug tracker
(instead of Flyspray), Kanban board (instead of Kanboard), and service
desk (for GDPR requests and such).

### Single-sign-on/Keycloak

Arch operates many different services - all of which with their own
login systems and account databases. This is not ideal from a security
and convenience standpoint. We'd like to enforce the same security
requirements for all users while also allowing everyone to use the same
account to log in to all of our services. It'll also finally allow you
to use 2-factor authentication for all Arch services.

We still have a long way to go here in terms of integrating all services
via SAML/OIDC and figuring out how to let users continue using their old
accounts.

### SVN to Git migration

The git migration plans have been picked up again, and started working
towards a proof-of-concept implementation [9]. This would allow
packagers to avoid the SVN mono repository and manage each package as a
separate git repository, and facilitate some modernization of our
current tooling.