[arch-devops] Devops meeting summary - 09/10

brent s. bts at square-r00t.net
Tue Oct 15 00:35:45 UTC 2019

On 10/14/19 8:08 PM, Giancarlo Razzolini via arch-devops wrote:
> Em outubro 14, 2019 19:39 brent s. escreveu:
>>
>> just wanted to suggest something - i'm a borg user for $work and
>> personal, and https://backupsy.com/ has some pretty good storage/cost
>> ratios (make sure you snag the 40% off-for-life coupon code at the top
>> right). it's slow as shit sometimes so your initial sync might take a
>> bit of time, but subsequent ones shouldn't be too bad (since borg is
>> incremental) and the price for that amount of storage is pretty hard to
>> beat.
>>
>> HTH.
>>

> We are still deciding if we are going to use borg for this off site
> backup or not.
> Or we can even use borg to one of these borg services and another tool
> for backing up
> to another place at the same time, if it's cheap enough.
>
> The idea is not to depend on only one tool/location.
>
> Regards,
> Giancarlo Razzolini

got it- thanks for the clarification, giancarlo!

i should note that backupsy (i promise i'm not paid by them) gives you
root access to a VM instance with whatever distro you choose (running
Arch on mine for the personal one!), so it's not specific to borg- it
can be rsnapshot, backuppc, bacula, plain ol' rsync, whatever. the
primary point i wanted to make was the pricing/storage factor.

excited to see what y'all end up going with!

--
brent saner
https://square-r00t.net/