[arch-events] Archcon: places to sleep and to eat?

Dusty Phillips dusty at archlinux.ca
Sat Jun 26 17:19:44 EDT 2010

Hi Dieter,

I have asked Ricardo to join this mailing list and respond to your
queries, as he is most familiar with that immediate area of Toronto. I
personally will be rooming with Dan and Jason for the period of the
conference, and staying with friends in another area of the city for
the rest of my trip.

Bed and breakfasts are a terrific way to visit small town Canada, but
if you want a cheap place to stay in large cities like Toronto, you're
better off searching for a hostel. I'm pretty sure there are
well-regarded ones in the city, though I can't specifically recommend
one.

As far as meals go, the conference will supply lunch and two "pastry
breaks" on each of the two conference days. In addition, I believe
there are some good pubs in the conference area, and it is a college
campus, so there will be studenty places to eat as well. Ricardo can
definitely give us more info on these topics. My guess is that
conference attendees will form into groups and decide where to go on
each day/night. That's what usually happens at conferences.

In downtown Toronto (not near the conference, but don't miss a trip
down there), I can specifically recommend:
* Linux Cafe at Bloor and Christie. Because you have to visit a place
with Linux in the name. ;-)
* Mel's Montreal Delicatessen on Bloor. It's just good food, and not expensive.
* Madison Avenue Pub. One of the world's best bars. It's got *character*.

Dusty

On 26 June 2010 04:39, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
> hi,
> 1)
> Who has figured out where to sleep yet?
> If everything goes according to plan, I'll be hanging around in
> Toronto for about 10-14 days.
> According to http://www.archlinux.ca/archcon2010/?page_id=43, a dorm
> room at the campus is a good bet. The archcon wiki page says you can
> share rooms, but all the dorms are meant for single occupancy and hence
> have only 1 bed, according to their webpage.
> So I was gonna ask if anyone wanted to share a room with me for the
> duration of the conference (4 days incl. weekend), or possible longer,
> but seems that's not even possible, unless you take a suite for
> multiple persons. it's $69 for 2 bedrooms and $79 for 3 bedrooms, per
> night.
>
> personally, i like "bed & breakfast" formulas, in my region this
> usually means you live in the house of some person and have often quite
> a good service for a good price, and a breakfast of course.  but if i
> google for "toronto bed and breakfast" i mostly hit fancy
> establishments with the associated prices ($70 and more) located in the
> financial district of toronto (not where the conf is)
>
> Although I did find one in "silverstone drive" (short walk from the
> conf) (the name of the owner is Barbara Rundle, haven't found an email
> address, only a phone no.) and I'm also gonna check what I
> can get out of http://www.torontobandb.com/
>

> Also, where will we eat?
> Are there any accomodations at the conf? Are there nice snack bars and
> such in the area around the conf? (google maps only returns
> some in the financial distruct) Supposing you don't use a B&B formula,
> where do you get breakfast?
>
> Dieter

Ask me about custom python and web development services.