[arch-events] Archcon: places to sleep and to eat?

Dusty Phillips dusty at archlinux.ca
Sun Jun 27 18:11:07 EDT 2010

On 27 June 2010 14:22, Dieter Plaetinck <dieter at plaetinck.be> wrote:
>> I have asked Ricardo to join this mailing list and respond to your
>> queries, as he is most familiar with that immediate area of Toronto. I
>> personally will be rooming with Dan and Jason for the period of the
>> conference
>
> cool. in a 3 person campus suite?

Yes.

>> and staying with friends in another area of the city for
>> the rest of my trip.
>
> mind if i ask where? (roughly), maybe i can keep it in mind for picking
> my place to stay, to make it a bit easier to meet up.

Probably the majority of my time will be spent on York University
Campus in North York. Don't try to find anywhere to stay around there,
it's near Jane and Finch, the most dangerous area of town, and there
is absolutely NOTHING to do in the region.  It was an awful place to
be a student. ;)

I may also spend a night or two in Thornhill (a district north of
Toronto), and another night or two downtown at the intersection of
College and Yonge. If I'm not at Tai Chi or working, I'll probably
come downtown anyway, so I recommend you stay in that area for any
time you are in the city but not near the conference. Downtown is
where all the things to do are, and anything that isn't down there
will have relatively easy transit.

Have a look at this place: http://www.canadianalodging.com/index.php
I have never stayed there, but I've heard positive things about it, in
the context of hostels.

>> * Linux Cafe at Bloor and Christie. Because you have to visit a place
>> with Linux in the name. ;-)
>
> Is this http://www.linuxcaffe.ca/ ? because that one is already listed
> @ http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Archcon_extra_activities

Yup, that's it. It's really nothing special, their menu is more
pastries than meals (and changes every day), but the clientèle is
pretty esoteric, and management would be delighted to see you.

Dusty