[arch-events] Archcon: places to sleep and to eat?

Dieter Plaetinck dieter at plaetinck.be
Mon Jun 28 05:25:03 EDT 2010

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 16:11:07 -0600
Dusty Phillips <dusty at archlinux.ca> wrote:

> Probably the majority of my time will be spent on York University
> Campus in North York. Don't try to find anywhere to stay around there,
> it's near Jane and Finch, the most dangerous area of town, and there
> is absolutely NOTHING to do in the region.  It was an awful place to
> be a student. ;)

hmm. this place is pretty close to the conf area, and hence also
Silverstone Drive (the place where I am considering to stay) :/

> I may also spend a night or two in Thornhill (a district north of
> Toronto), and another night or two downtown at the intersection of
> College and Yonge. If I'm not at Tai Chi or working, I'll probably
> come downtown anyway, so I recommend you stay in that area for any
> time you are in the city but not near the conference. Downtown is
> where all the things to do are, and anything that isn't down there
> will have relatively easy transit.

With downtown, you mean the York/Yonge/financial district area?

On Sun, 27 Jun 2010 21:14:19 -0400
"R. Alvez" <ralvez at ittwo.ca> wrote:

> There are many places to eat and sleep in the vicinity of Humber
> College. Some are very close to Humber and others are not so close.
> For starters Dieter, how many people are with you? Are you on your own
> or are you coming along with someone else?

alone

I seem to have underestimated a bit the magnitude of Toronto.
From conf area to downtown is about 25-30 km, so it will
be better if try to avoid going back forth every day.

I think I'll do the Silverstone drive B&B around the
conf, and for the non-conf days I'll find something else downtown,

Dieter