[arch-events] Archcon: places to sleep and to eat?

Loui Chang louipc.ist at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 20:44:49 EDT 2010

On Sat 26 Jun 2010 12:39 +0200, Dieter Plaetinck wrote:
> Who has figured out where to sleep yet?
> If everything goes according to plan, I'll be hanging around in
> Toronto for about 10-14 days.
> According to http://www.archlinux.ca/archcon2010/?page_id=43, a dorm
> room at the campus is a good bet. The archcon wiki page says you can
> share rooms, but all the dorms are meant for single occupancy and hence
> have only 1 bed, according to their webpage.
> So I was gonna ask if anyone wanted to share a room with me for the
> duration of the conference (4 days incl. weekend), or possible longer,
> but seems that's not even possible, unless you take a suite for
> multiple persons. it's $69 for 2 bedrooms and $79 for 3 bedrooms, per
> night.
>
> Also, where will we eat?
> Are there any accomodations at the conf? Are there nice snack bars and
> such in the area around the conf? (google maps only returns
> some in the financial distruct) Supposing you don't use a B&B formula,
> where do you get breakfast?

There are some places to eat in the college. Fast food, café, cafeteria.
Sometimes you can even taste what the culinary students have prepared.

There are two malls relatively near:
Westwood Mall   = ghetto
Woodbine Centre = nicer

It's a bit of an awkward area, near the Airport and all.
It wouldn't be so bad if you drive.

I'd recommend staying downtown because it's closer to everything. You'll
get to experience Toronto with greater convenience if that's what you're
after.

You might be able to find a bed at Hosteller's International, or
Backpacker's Hostel. I think they are around $30/night

http://www.hostellingtoronto.com/2/home.hostel
http://www.globalbackpackers.com/

You don't get a private room, but Hostels can be fun sometimes eh?

I added some items to your wiki page for ya.
http://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Archcon_extra_activities

Cheers.