[arch-general] alsamixer doesn't work.

Sun Dec 9 03:41:10 EST 2007

On Sun, 9 Dec 2007, Jackson Robertson wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I have had this problem for a little while now and haven't been able to find
> a solution. When I run alsamixer in console I'm getting this error...
> "ALSA lib control.c:874:(snd_ctl_open_conf) Cannot open shared library
> /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_ctl_pulse.so
>
> alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or
> directory"
> After checking the arch wiki, it said to try and reinstall the kernel, I've
> tried this and it had no effect on the problem. This problem leads to me not
> being able to use keytouch as keytouch uses amixer to change the volume and
> amixer uses alsa, so I just get a bunch of errors when I use keytouch. Does
> anybody on the list have any ideas on this? Thanks for the help.
>
> Jackson

The /usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_ctl_pulse.so library is in the
alsa-plugins package for community. I guess you have it installed and
want to use it, right?
To use that library, you need to have pulseaudio installed. Is it
installed and setup correctly?  Did you logout and relogged in after
adding your user to the pulse group?

Eric

believed to be clean.