[arch-general] arch32 -> arch64 migration without reinstalling

Mark Constable markc at renta.net
Thu Jan 17 09:06:43 EST 2008

On Thursday 17 January 2008 23:30:44 bardo wrote:
> Yes, it does. It's reconfiguring it from the ground up that takes a
> lot of time. Also, what if I left my files around in some forgotten
> place (and I'm pretty sure I did)? Should I run a pacman -Qo on
> everything? =)
> I know it would be better to reorganize everything and clean things, I
> just don't have the time to do it.

I would use (q)parted to create an extra 5Gb to 10Gb
partition and install a 64bit AL into it and simply
mount the same /home partition. Just add the 64bit
partition /boot/* files to the current 32bit menu.lst
and dual boot. Take your time to tweak the new 64bit
world and be able to drop back to your old 32bit
system if need be and/or use it as a chroot to run
some 32bit apps from the new 64bit world anyway.

--markc