[arch-general] blurry fonts at Qt4 apps

Attila attila at invalid.invalid
Tue Jan 29 12:11:40 EST 2008

On Dienstag, 29. Januar 2008 08:54 Maik Beckmann wrote:

As i see your name: If you don't understand my "fantastic" english my natural
language is german.-)

> I switched to vrgb and how the shadows are gone.  Even Qt3 and Qt4 font are
> now the same.

Nice to hear but a little bit strange. I must admit that after thinking too
much about it i stop analyzing and differ only "looks good" or "looks bad".-)

> However,  the fact that the font rendering differs if rgba is set to rgb and
> do not if it's set to vrgb sounds like black magic to me.  I would really
> like to figure out what is going on.

Good luck but this all with fonts remembers me at my first analog monitor
which have a "Advanced Features Setting" where i don't understand the most.-)

Only for the info here is my /etc/fonts/conf.d (The two *-MyDejaVu.conf
differs from the originals only that DejaVu is on the top):

10-autohint.conf
10-sub-pixel-rgb.conf
11-no_autohint_for_bold_fonts.conf
20-fix-globaladvance.conf
20-lohit-gujarati.conf
20-unhint-small-vera.conf
30-amt-aliases.conf
30-replace-bitmap-fonts.conf
30-urw-aliases.conf
40-generic-MyDejaVu.conf
49-sansserif.conf
50-user.conf
51-local.conf
60-latin-MyDejaVu.conf
65-fonts-persian.conf
65-nonlatin.conf
69-unifont.conf
80-delicious.conf
90-synthetic.conf

> Can you please try rgb instead of vrgb, just for comparison?

I do this and there was not such a difference as for you and i have definitely
no shadows. The most and only difference is in the konsole (Dejavu Sans
Mono).

> PS: how can one figure out which rgba mode is supported by the hardware?

In a perfect world it is in the manual of your monitor. But as example i have
a NEC 2190UXp (connected with DVI to a GeForce 7600 GS and driver version
169.09) and instead the manual says that it use rgb it looks better with
vrgb. So i must say that in the most cases i prefer my normal try&error game:

- start konsole plus 'ls -la'
- change something and press apply
- start a new - konsole plus 'ls -la'
... and so on

This works better for me than analyzing it.-) But if you realy wants this here
be the links which helps me in the past (i hope my suspicion that you can
understand german is correct):

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Xorg_and_Fonts
http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antialiasing
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fontconfig