[arch-general] new arch user, questions about package management

Xavier shiningxc at gmail.com
Wed Jun 11 11:16:22 EDT 2008

On Wed, Jun 11, 2008 at 5:04 PM, Dan McGee <dpmcgee at gmail.com> wrote:

> Arch in 99% of cases uses mandir=/usr/share/man, sysconfdir=/etc, and
> never installs things under /usr/local. We don't want to enforce
> things like that at the makepkg level however, you are free to build
> local package however you like.

This reminds me the $prefix proposal we had on pacman-dev...
http://www.archlinux.org/pipermail/pacman-dev/2008-June/012052.html

I don't know what to think about this idea of having more variables anymore.

Just having these variables available don't enforce their usage. But
if they were widely used, the whole thing would probably be more
flexible.
For example, I suppose the /usr/man -> /usr/share/man transition would
have gone smoother.