[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] adding http user/group to filesystems

Aaron Griffin aaronmgriffin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 23 13:47:23 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 12:32 PM, Arvid Ephraim Picciani
<aep at ibcsolutions.de> wrote:
> Yes this is debian "out of the box ease". And i would really apprechiate if
> you finally admit it. You not willing to take a clear position is quite
> painfull and weakens the position of any fork that may come up.

I have never NOT admitted it. Our packages tend to be about "sane
defaults". Period. It's always been this way. I think you're confused
because "sane defaults" usually coincides with "defaults from
upstream". Not all upstream maintainers are sane. There are many
packages that have shipped custom Arch config changes since I've been
here.

Hell, using 'nobody' isn't from upstream either. And we've been doing
that for a while, which doesn't seem to be a problem to anyone. I
don't think this is an issue with "what is right", it's an issue with
"change". If you look here:
http://repos.archlinux.org/viewvc.cgi/extra/daemons/apache/httpd.conf?root=extra&view=log
we have shipped a custom httpd.conf file with apache for "4 years, 8
months"