[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] adding http user/group to filesystems

Arvid Ephraim Picciani aep at ibcsolutions.de
Mon Jun 23 13:32:12 EDT 2008

On Monday 23 June 2008 19:16:28 Aaron Griffin wrote:
> Not to be snide, but your emails are always confrontational.

yeah well are YOU sitting here running server farms with arch?
if you would, you would be as pissed as me. ask glenn.
For a desktop machine, who the heck cares if they crash, but my job security
is directly connected to the uptime of these boxes and initially i put alot
of trust in archlinux becouse of its root ideas.

> No it is
> not an official announcement, no it is not a drastic change - for
> fuck's sake it's just a user and group added to one package.
> If you  don't like it, then for god's sake build apache yourself.

the initial idea of arch was that anyone who does want NON upstream supported
changes builds it themselfs.
I already HAVE to build several packages myself just to REMOVE non verified
patches. We had that discussion and back then you agreed that adding features
for the sake of adding features is a horrible idea resulting in more work,
but hey some dev can feel good about "doing something usefull".

For the user you address nowadays thats a good thing: the dont have to read
the softwares manual (well they can't anymore anyway becouse the software has
been patched so badly that the manual doesnt apply anymore) and if it doesnt
work they can always blame the distro.

Yes this is debian "out of the box ease". And i would really apprechiate if
you finally admit it. You not willing to take a clear position is quite
painfull and weakens the position of any fork that may come up.

--
best regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Arvid Ephraim Picciani