[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] adding http user/group to filesystems

Antonio de la Rosa webmaster at web-t-sys.com
Mon Jun 23 14:52:17 EDT 2008

El Monday 23 June 2008 18:48:12 Arvid Ephraim Picciani escribió:
> On Monday 23 June 2008 16:59:30 Aaron Griffin wrote:
> > I agree with Simo and Jan here. While we could easily take the "do it
> > yourself" road, I always preferred the "sane defaults" side of Arch,
> > myself. That is - install some crap and it works out-of-the-box in a
> > pretty decent manner. It's a very small stretch from "sane defaults"
> > to "secure defaults". Unless you think sane != secure.
>
> so this is the official announcment that the vanilla-style-do-it-yourself
> for professional engineers and manual readers is no more, and that in
> future there will be rather debian-style-out-of-the-box solutions for
> those who want it to "just work" ?

Do you know Debian?. Debian style isn't "just work". Debian is "just don't
touch". If you put a dedicated user for apache in arch, you have a better
package, (in my opinion more secure, nobody have another uses), and if you
want, you can edit PKGBUILD or httpd.conf for use your settings.

I don't understand the problem. A distro by default need a good packages. Use
a good config for default is a good thing. why do i use a distro package and
not custom package?, because the package have good quality, and a dedicated
user for apache is a good thing without need of destroy KISS philosophy of
arch.