[arch-general] [arch-dev-public] adding http user/group to filesystems

Simo Leone simo at archlinux.org
Mon Jun 23 18:38:10 EDT 2008

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 09:23:11PM +0200, Arvid Ephraim Picciani wrote:
> On Monday 23 June 2008 19:47:23 Aaron Griffin wrote:
> > I have never NOT admitted it.
> > Our packages tend to be about "sane
> > defaults". Period.
>
> thanks
>
> > It's always been this way.
>
> really? i remember back when i was in irc that people got slapped around
> pretty badly for asking for such blasphemic things as post install scripts.

Which part of "it's always been this way, and nothing is changing" don't
you get?

Arch has ALWAYS shipped with SANE AND SECURE default configurations for
packages. NO Arch will not configure them for you, nor will it help you
configure them, but installing a package should not and will not
compromise your system either. Likewise, while Arch won't configure them
for you, it may include heavily commented configs to help you do so
yourself. Like Aaron pointed out, these ideas very often coincide with
what upstream developers had in mind, so a lot of the time we just ship
whatever their default configuration is.

What the hell is up with these purist zealots running around nowadays?
That's not what Arch is supposed to be about...

-S