[arch-general] Firefox 3 on latest update of Don't Panic question

Nigel Henry cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr
Mon Jun 23 17:23:55 EDT 2008

I'm just about to update one of my 2 instances of Don't Panic. Firefox 3 is
going to be installed. I'd had problems playing a radio stream from a radio
station in the Channel Islands using Bon Echo, so downloaded and installed
another instance of Firefox from the Mozilla site, and installed it
in /usr/local, where I normally install Firefox. This ran the stream from the
site ok. I then changed the identity of Bon Echo to Firefox, and this too ran
the stream ok. The site obviously had some problems with the Bon Echo
identity.

The question is though. If I go ahead with the upgrade of Firefox/Bon Echo to
3.0-1, is it still going to play well with the Firefox I installed from the
Mozilla site (version 2.0.0.12). At the moment they are both happy to share
the same files in ~/, and both use the same addons.

For info my current Bon Echo version is 2.0.0.14.

I havn't tried Firefox 3 yet, so it may be interesting, but all the same,
don't want to screw anything up.

Whatever it's like, it can't be as bad as all the complaints I've seen
regarding KDE4 on the Fedora, and Kubuntu lists. Saying that though, new
stuff always gets a lot of feedback, both positive, and negative.

Nigel.