[arch-general] apache-/httpd-config files (was: [arch-dev-public] cleaned-up apache package)

RedShift redshift at pandora.be
Wed Jun 25 16:51:25 EDT 2008

Finkregh wrote:
> On Sun, 22 Jun 2008 00:31:50 +0200
> Pierre Schmitz <pierre at archlinux.de> wrote:
>
>> Btw: does anybody know why the previous maintainer has
>> used /etc/httpd/conf instead of /etc/httpd?
>
> Why is that directory used at all?
> Doesn't it make more sense to use something like '/etc/apache/' like
> e.g. lighttpd does?
>
> Or is there already a policy on that i overlooked?

Actually, "apache" is not called "apache", but is called httpd. It has been called httpd ever since 2.0. (The <2.0 series used apache as name, that's why people generally call httpd apache).

The usage of /etc/httpd (with a conf subdirectory below) is because it allows you to set the serverroot to /etc/httpd. That's why there is a log and modules symlink in there. If we didn't do it like that, what whould we set the serverroot to?

If you've been using httpd for a long time, then the way it's currently set up makes perfect sense and is the most logical one too (I wouldn't know any better way to set it up).

Glenn