[arch-general] Installation: after first reboot ext3 superblock mount time in future

Arvid Ephraim Picciani aep at ibcsolutions.de
Sun Mar 30 07:40:10 EDT 2008

On Sunday 30 March 2008 15:20:38 Gerhard Brauer wrote:
> Solutions:
> a) set the time by hand (KISS, maybe put a hint on installation guide?)
> date -s "13:46 CEST" result in:
> Sun Mar 30 11:46 UTC 2008
> which is the now correct UTC time.
> b) put tzdata package on ISO, so the user could use tzselect. Hint could
> also be given in instalation guide. Or we make it more comfortable
> (handholding the user) and put this as a menu in installer("Set your
> timezone"). The $TZ env var could then also used by the installer to
> initial set TIMEZONE in rc.conf as we do it with KEYMAP. As a side
> effect we could reduce a lot of postings in forums where users not set
> this correctly. But that need perhaps discussion, i feel it a little bit
> to handholding.
thanks.
i vote for putting a) in the instalation guide so new users dont get scared by
this (imo) non issue. Since i expect people to actually read fsck ouput, i
guess it's at least fair telling them in the install guide that this is not
an actual problem, or can be fixed by setting the time. actually,... wasnt
there noted in the guide that you have to link your timezone somewhere?

--
best regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Arvid Ephraim Picciani