[arch-general] Compiling my own kernel: IDE, SATA...

Carotinho carotinobg at yahoo.it
Wed May 7 13:13:33 EDT 2008

Hi!

I'm sure this is an already answered question, but the problem is that I don't
know which could be the question whose answer I'm in need of:)

After this prologue, the problem is:
The currently running system, with the Arch-supplied 2.6.24 kernel, has the
disk devices all mapped to a /dev/sd* scheme, even if 3 are IDE and another
is SATA.
When I compile myself the kernel, I get the "traditional" /dev/hd* scheme,
which is in contrast with the content of /etc/fstab.

The main question is: how can I obtain the "right" behaviour from my own
compiled kernel? Is this due to some misconfiguration of the kernel at
compile-time, or is it obtained through some other kind of magic?
The real problem here is that I cannot give a name to this problem, hence
being unable to search for it!:) I've always used a Slack system with
traditional disk mapping, it's the first time I come across this problem:)

Thanks in advance!

Carotinho